Altenstadt is located about 95 km south west from Munich (travel time by car approximately 1 hour) and the jump site is located on a military airfield. With good weather one has a wonderful view of the Bavarian Alps and surroundings. From mid-April to the end of October you can watch the civilian hobby jumpers on Fridays and Saturdays at the jump site. Military jump operations take place during the week. The jumps are conducted using various aircraft, including a Pilatus Porter PC-6, Cessna 206, Cessna 208 and sometimes a Shorts SC.7 Skyvan. At the jump location there are basic toilet facilities, however no catering is available.
Altenstadt is certainly one of the most beautiful jumping places in Germany. However, due to refurbishment work of the runway and the availability of aircraft we rarely have the opportunity to jump here.
Directions to Altenstadt from Munich:
- Take the A96 autobahn from Munich (direction towards Lindau) and exit the autobahn at junction 24 “Landsberg am Lech-West”
- Take the B17 south to Schongau and continue to the exit “Altenstadt (Kaserne)”
- After leaving the B17 you reach a small roundabout, take the first exit towards Altenstadt / Kaserne (Franz-Josef-Strauß-Straße)
- After about 300 meters you come to a roundabout – take the first exit here and drive in the direction of Schwabniederhofen.
- Follow the road (about 500 meters) until you see the restaurant “Gasthaus Janser” on the left-hand side.
- Now turn left into Kapellenstrasse and then drive straight ahead (address for navigation system: Kapellenstrasse, Schwabniederhofen)
- Pass the small chapel on the left and continue straight on to the airfield
- Now it is about 200 meters until you reach the destination
Important: The jump site is located on a military area. Therefore, please drive at walking pace and watch out for take-off and landing aircraft.